CHANGE THE WORLD

Total Pageviews

Friday, October 8, 2010

You Just Got Served

I know that most of you do not even know what 2:00 a.m. in the morning looks like because you have never been up that late, but for those of us who are night owls, let's just say this is when the fun begins. But seriously, what am I doing up this late, and why of all things would I be writing this? Those are two very good questions that I am going to answer right after I finish this extremely long sentence that really has no purpose but to delay the inevitable. So one, I am up this late because I could not sleep. Two, I am writing because it helps me express my thoughts and it's almost like a way of talking to myself, which sounds overly creepy and makes me look like I need some sort of psychiatrist, but it's a good way to kinda just let everything out. Moving forward.

Today officially marked the start of Purdue's fall break, and it also marked the first time that I have ever seen tumbleweed rolling across the street. For such a large campus, you would be amazed at how quickly it vacates. However, I decided to stay up on campus tonight, partially because of my crazy random desire to be different, and partially because I am an avid sports fan and our volleyball team just happened to be taking on the Penn State Nittany Lions, who ranks among the best volleyball teams in the nation. I have made it to 6 of the 7 home volleyball games this year (something that I am very proud of), and I did travel down to IU for the IU vs. Purdue Volleyball game so that makes up for my one home game that I missed. For all of you out there who think I am a little off my rocker for liking volleyball so much; I will just pretend that you aren't thinking that because I know that if you had a student section that was even a tenth as good as the Block Party, you would love volleyball too.

So I showed up to the game, grabbed a front row spot next to my friends Becky Wilson and Michael Dunbar, and got ready to see some good old big ten competition. The girls got down quick, losing the first two games, and as Phil Morton said at the half-time break, "Everybody better be ready to stay, cause this thing is going into five!" And he was right. The Boilermakers ended up coming back and beating Penn State in the 5th game, giving Penn State their third loss in the last three years (it was the first time that Purdue had beaten Penn State since 1987). I was just happy to be a part of it. I was going nuts, the gym was going crazy. It was a great cap to a pretty good week.

After the game, I went and caught the movie Social Network. It was very, very good. I would recommend it to all age groups. However, it was leaked that the movie was not completely accurate, that Zuckerburg was portrayed as someone that he wasn't, and that there were other various details that didn't match up with what really happened. It throws me for a loop that someone that was relatively the same age that I was created something that has changed the entire world. As I walked back to my dorm room after the movie, I was really thinking about what it would take to change the world, and why more people don't aim for this. Taking religion out of the equation for a second, what is our purpose in life? If you don't believe in higher power, than why are you here? Why am I here? What does our lives mean? How do we measure success? Is it by how much fun we had while we lived, or how people remember us when we are no longer here? Is it both? How can I change the world, and should I even be concerned with that? Why not?

I saw my third shooting star tonight that I have ever seen in my entire life. Maybe it's a sign or something. This is coming from the guy that keeps every single fortune cookie fortune, because I have yet to get one that I cannot apply to my life somehow. That's about all I have for right now, if you have any comments or suggestions feel free to leave them below. They are much appreciated! Make sure you do your part and tell your friends or someone about this blog, and I'll keep up my end of the bargain and keep the posts coming. To follow This Guy Over Here, just make an account. It's that easy. twss

Tip for the weekend: At most of the dining courts, make sure to check out the hot chocolate dispenser. It is usually near where the coffee/ice cream is, and it is surprisingly delicious. Perfect for a chilly day.

Closing thought for the weekend: "When I was a young man, I wanted to change the world. I found it was difficult to change the world, so I tried to change my nation. When I found I couldn't change the nation, I began to focus on my town. I couldn't change the town and as an older man, I tried to change my family. Now, as an old man, I realize the only thing I can change is myself, and suddenly I realize that if long ago I had changed myself, I could have made an impact on my family. My family and I could have made an impact on our town. Their impact could have changed the nation and I could indeed have changed the world."
~Author Unknown

Throwing up the NW333 and throwing down The Rock,
Proud to be a Boilermaker.
Signing off,

JD

No comments:

Post a Comment